What is Courtship
The Macmillan dictionary defines courtship as a period of time when a man and woman have a romantic relationship with each other before marriage.
courtship can also be defined as when a brother and sister has reached an agreement that God is Leading them into marriage.
You must remember that not all courtship Leads to marriage.
One of the reasons why marriage fail is because of the mistakes people make in courtship.
The difference between courtship and dating
There is a huge difference between courtship and dating so don’t get confused and they are as follows;
- -Dating is arrangement to meet as part of a sexual or romantic relationship.
- -Courtship is when a man and woman get to know each other before marriage
- -Dating hardly leads to marriage
- -Courtship can lead to marriage
- – dating involve sexual intercourse
- -Courtship hardly ever involves sexual intercourse ever
- -Christians don’t date
- – courtship is between two people who are ready for marriage.
Before courtship begins the man must have proposed and you as the lady accepted and your parents and family members know about it and then you both become officially engaged. so don’t say you are in courtship without any marriage proposal.
what you should be doing before courtship;
- -KNOW GOD: you can think about settling down without having GOD in mind because God is the one who will bring the right man to you.
- – SERVE GOD: your service in the house of God is like storing money in the bank for rainy days as you wait for your man to locate you keep busy in the house of God because it pays.
- -GET TO KNOW YOU: it is quite funny when you see a lot of young ladies who are preparing themselves for marriage without getting to know themselves, as a young lady you can’t think of settling down if you don’t know yourself and what you’re capable of ,so before starting the courtship make sure you know your weaknesses and your strengths this will help you in the long run.
- -PREPARE YOURSELF: as you wait for your partner keep busy and prepare yourself for marriage it is never too early to start attending relationship seminars.
Don’t think about marriage all the time do something for yourself why don’t you start to achieve those goals as you wait for your partner. don’t just wait, do something
Please note that you can’t be locked up in your room and wear horrible clothes and expect to get a marriage proposal,go out: to places you know you will meet responsible men.
WHAT TO DO WHEN HE PROPOSES:
Ask him to give you time to pray and seek God’s face make sure you introduce him to your parents and pastors.
- Don’t say yes to the first guy who seeks your hand in marriage because the right one may be the last one so be careful. when many men are asking for your hand in marriage all at the same time you need to pray so as to make the right decision don’t for any reason whatsoever feel reluctant and decide to choose who you want to marry by yourself let God, your parents and your pastor help you in your decision REMEMBER THAT MARRIAGE IS A LIFE TIME THING.
NOTE that courtship should last 6 months or 2 years no more no less.
what to do during courtship;
- – talk about your future together
- – make God the center of your relationship
- – be open to your partner it is better he knows now than later
- – discuss your God-given ministry together
- – concentrate on your partner don’t turn into a female player
- – associate with married pelople so you can learn
- – get a mentor immediately
- – always pray to God about your future with him
- – don’t hide your behavior show him everything so that he doesn’t get surprised honesty is the best policy if he doesn’t find out now he will find out later
Don’t s of courtship;
- -Don’t have S*x
- -don’t spend the night at his place
- don’t cook for him
- -don’t clean or wash his clothes because he will be expecting all that when you become husband and wife
- – don’t be in the dark about his past present and future it will save you a lot of stress in the long run
- – don’t stay in a courtship with more than one person
- – don’t wear sexy clothes to his house or anywhere around him
- – don’t force your will on him
- don’t nag him
- – don’t move in with him
- -don’t try to change him if you don’t like what you see break up and move on
- -don’t enter into courtship with someone you are way older than unless you want to become a miserable baby sitter.
- -As a Christian don’t ever enter into courtship with an unbeliever
- -don’t stay with a violent man love or no love
DON’T ENTER INTO COURTSHIP WITH SOMEONE YOUR PARENTS PASTORS OR EVEN GOD DISAPPROVE OF. REMEMBER LOVE IS BLIND AND MARRIAGE AN EYE OPENER. TRUST ME YOU DON’T WANT TO END UP WITH THE WRONG MAN.
I hope the above has helped you I will love to know you thoughts
By Nancy Desire